- 1 What Does “Street Legal” Mean?
- 2 The Best Street Legal Scooters
- 3 1. Street Legal Scooter TaoTao 150cc
- 4 Features and Specifications
- 5 2. TaoTao POWERMAX- Street Legal Scooter
- 6 Features and Specifications
- 7 3. Scooter 150cc Street Legal Scooter
- 8 Features and Specifications
- 9 4. Tao Tao Thunder 50 Street Legal Scooter
- 10 Features and Specifications
- 11 5. TaoTao CY50-A Gas Street Legal Scooter
- 12 Features and Specifications
- 13 Buying Guide for Street Legal Scooters
- 14 Conclusion
Scooters are fun and a perpetual source of pleasure to all; no matter if you are a ten-year-old or a grown-up adult. The speed and the thrill of scooting around all by yourself is an irresistible feeling that only a few people can relate to.
Compared to cars, the fastest electric scooter is less expensive, need much less space for transportation and are thus much faster and dynamic in terms of mobility. Most importantly, the scooters that run on electricity are environment-friendly so you can scoot to your office, to the market or to any other place in peace, knowing that you are not contributing further to air pollution.
In the bewildering varieties of scooters, is it not difficult to find a best one? No it is not. Because if a customer knows his needs and reasons of buying a scooter, this becomes easier to find one according to our his or her use. But this is seen that most of the customers know their wants, needs and purposes to buy scooters: electric or gas scooters, but they are bewildered with the infinite varieties of scooters in the market. They all have different brands’ tags and names. The customers need a proper guideline to exactly know about the products that what he or she should consider before to buy a scooter and he or she must know the top scooters or possible best choices for him or her. Therefor we bring to you our articles pertaining to scooters that shows different varieties which could work and help you select one from our shortlisted scooters in our review articles.
What Does “Street Legal” Mean?
This is, in fact, an important question to ask when you are planning to buy an electric scooter for adults. An electric scooter for kids does not need to comply with legal rules since those are smaller in size and are only meant for riding in the boundaries of a park or indoors. But when it comes to riding to and fro on an electric scooter meant for adults, compliance with the street laws is mandatory.
“Street legal” refers to those electric scooters for adults which can be legally operated on the public roads. Only those scooters which meet the mandatory requirements specified by the legal authorities of a country are considered to be actual street legal scooters.
The Best Street Legal Scooters
If you are planning to buy the best street legal electric scooter for adults, we have come up with a list of the best ones available. While it might get confusing and difficult for you to find the most suitable one, you can simply refer to this guide and make the buying process a whole lot easier.
Here we have brought to you the following five of the best street legal scooters for adults. Now you will read all of the above five respectively in details ahead:
1. Street Legal Scooter TaoTao 150cc
The Lancer Blue is the production of TaoTao which is gas powered scooter. This is one more good value of money product of TaoTao that grabs your attention with its quality features and functions. Lancer Blue has dual headlight and turn signals that help you ride with zero fear. It has much room for storage of personal items.
It is an advanced and pleasant design. The people who are searching for good fuel consumption scooter, this can be ideal for them. It consumes one gallon for 80 miles’ travel. You get free lifetime technical support to its customer. The parts’ warranty is also given of three months.
Features and Specifications
- It is a complete CVT automatic starter electric scooter.
- TAOTAO Lancer Blue starts with electric keys, but it has its kick start system for its backup.
- Its length is: 28-inch height, 78-inch width.
- Its back and front tires are 130/6013 aluminum.
- Its twin inverted hydraulic system for its front suspension makes it a good choice.
- For its rear suspension it has dual rear hydraulic spring.
- Its 150cc scooter.
- It has a small storage just beneath its seat.
- Its speed is more than fifty miles per hour. It can reach up to its highest 55mph that can be in other words 92 kilometers per hour.
- It can be supportive for the maximum weight like 350 to 370 pounds and even a little more.
- It can go up to 100 miles’ distance per gallon.
- It has disk front brake and drum rear brake.
- Its front and rear rim size is 3.5 x 13 alloy.
- Its front and back tires are 130/60 x -13 each.
- It has headlights, taillights, brake lights and blinkers.
- It has twist control system and hand brake.
- Its dimensions are length 78” x width 28” x height 44”.
- This is legal electric scooter in whole Texas, Florida and in many parts of over all States.
- This has an on-staff mechanic for provision of the best services.
- The purchase of this scooter is inclusive of technical support via phone and replacement of parts for the first month.
- Its engine has a one-year warranty.
- It is simple to assemble.
- Labor and mechanic is not included in the warranty.
- This scooter cannot be registered in the State of CA.
2. TaoTao POWERMAX- Street Legal Scooter
This is TaoTao’s really an amazing product. This is 150cc scooter and it comes with relatively bigger tires and front hydraulic disc brake. It can handle two passengers easily. This scooter has electric ignition, agile acceleration, splendid fuel consumption, less emissions and noise.
When you use it, you do not need to go for its maintenance all the time. It requires very less maintenance. This bike is not legal in California. Make sure it! The faults are very rare in this Powermax gas street legal scooter. This two-seater scooter is full of fun to ride on it and enjoyable. This is forced air cooled and has single cylinder scooter.
Below are its features to help you understand exactly how worthy it is and how it can be a good value of money:
Features and Specifications
- It is 150cc street legal scooter.
- It goes up to 70 to 80 miles’ distance per gallon. It varies with the rider to ride depending on his or her weight and route. The more you weigh the less distance it goes.
- It has GY6 motor.
- It is a four stroke scooter.
- Its cruising speed is up to 55 miles per hour. .
- It is a metal crate model.
- Its matching trunk is also included when you buy it.
- Powermax is keyed electric start scooter.
- It has kick start backup too.
- Its front brake is hydraulic ABS disk.
- The mechanical drum is its rear brake.
- Front and rear wheels are 120/70-12.
- Powermax is controlled with twist throttle and hand brake.
- The headlights, tail lights, turn signals are also fixed with Powermax Scooter.
- It weighs 295lbs.
- Powermax and afford maximum load of 350lbs.
- Its overall size dimensions are length 73” x width 26” x height 44”.
- CARB approved for California buyers too.
- It can ride up on the mountains.
- It comes ninety percent 90% assembled.
- This comes with a one-year warranty.
- It has the warranty of 30 days for all defective parts and for all engineering faults.
- It goes very slow up on the mountain like 30 to 35 miles per hour. If a bit light weight is riding on the scooter, then it can go up the mountains with the speed of 40 to 45 miles per hour.
- It does not have LED headlight.
3. Scooter 150cc Street Legal Scooter
This is fully automatic scooter and fully street legal. You can get this one as well if you are trying some new experience. It is good to ride but make sure of your usage of the scooter which depends upon the purpose and commute time of yours.
Features and Specifications
- It is a fully automatic scooter.
- It is 150cc scooter.
- It weighs about 300 pounds.
- Its dimensions are: 73 x 26 x 44 inches.
- It has forced air cooling transmission system.
- It has a belt starter.
- This scooter is backed up with keys and kick start support.
- Its speed can reach up to 45 to 55 miles per hour.
- The front system of this scooter is twin inverted hydraulic.
- The rear system of this scooter is dual rear hydraulic spring.
- Brakes of this scooter are: front brake is hydraulic ABS disc brake and rear brake is mechanical drum brake.
- It has front and rear tires of 120/70-12.
- It has the function of twist throttle and hand brake.
- This scooter has fully automatic lighting.
- The headlights, taillights and blinkers are its special features.
- Its dimensions are: height 44, width 26 and length 73 inches.
- It has the weight capacity of 350 pounds.
- The distance it can cover up to 65 to 75 miles per gallon.
- It is fully legal scooter on streets.
- It can reach its maximum speed on even and smooth terrains.
- This comes 95% assembled.
- It comes with a metal crate in a box inside.
- It is not legal in California.
- Going faster than 50 to 55 miles per hour could become the cause of burning the scooter’s engine.
4. Tao Tao Thunder 50 Street Legal Scooter
It is always challenge to cope up with the city traffic on roads. The Thunder 50 Gas Street Legal Scooter is ideal for this challenge. The style, the speed and the range of this scooter are according to a rider’s need. It is an automatic transmission and electric start legal scooter.
It is powered with 50cc engine which is good enough for your commutes on regular basis. You need to assemble few parts as it always requires with all the products of scooters.
Features and Specifications
- It is 50cc street legal scooter.
- The overall dimensions of this scooter are: 73 x 25 x 44 inches.
- It has the ground clearance of 4.33 inches.
- Its seat height is 30 inches.
- It has alloy rim front tire and rear tire: 120/70-12.
- This scooter weighs about 250 pounds.
- It is an electric start with a backup of kick start scooter.
- It is 4 stroke scooter.
- Its top speed is around 35 miles per hour.
- The transmission is fully automatic.
- It is an air cooled CDI scooter.
- It has headlights, brake lights and blinkers as well.
- It is easy to assemble.
- Its appearance looks beautiful.
- It comes with the six-month warranty on its purchase excluding the wear items of the bike.
- It is relatively a bit slower scooter.
- This is not CARB approved and you cannot register it in California.
5. TaoTao CY50-A Gas Street Legal Scooter
A customer who desires to enjoy his or her ride with a scooter that consumes less expenses and produces better result with fun. If you too are one of such customers who is seeking a better choice for your fun ride, you should not miss to read about TaoTao CY50-A, because it has all what you a good customer can look for.
CY50-A is gas powered scooter which comprises of different features. To learn it smooth riding is very breeze. The automatic transmission helps ride easily. Different aged people can use it with no fear of any untoward situation that could cause by any other electric or gas scooter. TaoTao is one of the most reliable brands and this model of it is also a model that a customer can rely on it. CY50-A has fully hydraulic suspension and space along with well-padded seat for the rider. It has the starting option with key (electric with key) and for the back-up it does have kick start support. When you buy it, you need to assemble its some parts. Moreover, it requires its initial maintenance. It comes with a limited warranty of six months for its engine and transmission only.
Features and Specifications
- It has maximum speed of 35 to 40 miles per hour. This can be fifty-six to sixty-four kilometers per hour in other words.
- It is a double seater gas scooter.
- It is ideally supportive of 220 plus pounds’ weight which is of at least two people generally.
- This is a four stroke 49cc almost 50cc scooter.
- It is fully automatic legal street scooter.
- Its dimensions are: length 73.8 inch, width 26.3 inch and height 40.1 inch.
- It can start with keys and with kick as well.
- This e-scooter has front disk brakes and rear drum brakes.
- The size of the front tire is 3.5 x 10 inches.
- TaoTao has 2.15 x 10 inches’ rear tire.
- Its twist throttle system is really good.
- It has hydraulic spring controls.
- Its shipping weight is around 250 pounds max.
- Rang is excessive of 90 miles per gallon.
- Its dimensions are length 73.8” x width 26.3” x height 40.1”.
- It has the trunk that can be locked.
- It has headlights, brake lights and blinkers too.
- The company personnel are there for its customers to guide them when they need on phone even. They are not reluctant to inquire about the bought e-scooter. This sounds really good especially when one is a new rider.
- It runs great and spectacularly on paths and streets.
- It does not create any problems when you bring it and assemble its parts.
- It comes with a CD and book of instructions and proper guide.
- It comes with the six-month warranty.
- It comes in four colors: black, blue, orange and red.
- It consumes much oil after we go on moving and taking rounds on it. Starting few days could prove to be economical but whereupon it becomes a bit expensive for buyer.
- It is a bit tougher to assemble.
- Sometimes, manual guide and CD do not come with this electric scooter.
Buying Guide for Street Legal Scooters
While the road regulations vary from one state to another, deciding on the most appropriate street legal scooters for your use might seem challenging. However, if you can keep in mind certain basic factors, the task of selection can be simplified to a great extent.
Let us check out few simple factors to make it easy for you to buy the best street legal scooter.
Going for a street legal scooter that comes with a powerful motor or engine makes sure that you derive optimal fuel efficiency and attain top speed as permitted. A strong motor will also ensure that you enjoy a noiseless ride. The engine specifications must conform to the road rules in your state.
While lightweight electric scooters can be fun to ride, they might not be suitable for the urban streets. A heavier body of the scooter will ensure better stability and balance, therefore being more suitable to ride on the streets.
Ease of use
With the smooth and easy handling of the electric scooter, you will be able to enjoy a hassle-free ride through the busy streets. Moreover, the simplicity of use also means quicker operations, which might be needed in certain emergencies.
Ensuring that your electric scooter comes with all the safety features is a must. An electric scooter that skips on one or more of the safety features can never be street legal since it might be prone to accidents. A robust framework, hand brakes, and disc brakes are few of the basic safety features that must be present in any street legal scooter.
Every street legal scooter comes with warranty offered by the manufacturer. Ranging from 3 months to 1 year, different brands offer different periods of warranty for greater reliability.
Deciding on your budget is important so that you do not overburden yourself when the maintenance costs of your scooter also set in.
You might need to change or replace parts of your electric scooter later on. The battery needs to be changed after a year to keep up with optimal performance and mileage. With scooter parts that are readily available, you can look forward to saving on extra bucks. Moreover, there will be no question of feeling gutted or leaving your scooter unused due to the scarcity of the parts.
Aforementioned are the five best street legal scooters in this review article that you have just read. It has been tried in this write-up to provide you with the maximum details of all five products. After the brief introduction of each of them, you have read the features and specifications along with their pros and cons just for the purpose of your better decision before you select one scooter to buy it.
However, along with buying street legal scooters, it is equally important to understand whether it is a good idea to take your scooter out on the urban streets.
Many of the electric scooters for adults are designed to look like scooters for kids. These are typically not very sturdy or fast; in fact, they look like miniature scoots which seem wobbly and unsafe. The best you can do is ride such small electric scooters for your recreation, and that is what they are exactly meant for.
In order to make sure that your street legal electric scooter is also fit for the urban traffic, you need to pick one that is heavy and offers ample stability along with all other specific features in place. The appropriate kind of tyres, a stable suspension system, and durable chassis, along with strong and powerful steering capabilities, mirrors and signal lights are some of the vital components that make your scooter road-ready too.
Remember one thing that it always banks on you what your daily commutes are, what your routs are and how long it takes you from beginning to ending the journey of yours. After going through these aspects, you get able to match your requirements with the features of the product. If they match to one another, you should go for that one. If the features are same in another model, then you should read the pros and cons carefully to justifiably decide and buy one.
Always keep your needs in mind and then when you search, your needs will help you purchase a good value of money product just as per your needs and wants.